Kivu B

My name is not to be known as there are people looking for me and I wish to remain anonymous.
My country of Origin is the Congo DR.

My Qualification:
I have a degree of History and Social Sciences which I got from the University of Congo. When I had finished my studies in 1994, I was recommended by the Protestant Missionaries to direct a secondary school (High school) : which had three sections:

– Education,
– Mathematic,
– Business and I organised another section
– Sociology
When started the war in 1995, the Protestant Missionaries were afraid and wanted to return to Sweden their country. They organised a general Assembly meeting.
They invited different categories of people including:
– Headmasters of Primary Schools
– Headmasters of Secondary School,
– The Representatives of Parent from different areas,
– The Representatives of the Education Department.
In this meeting I was chosen as the Coordinator of all the Missionary Protestant Primary and Secondary Schools in the North Kivu State.
All the responsibilities for the staffs and students were left to me.
Around 36 schools Primary and secondary with a good number of staffs and students were my responsibility.
When I needed to pay the agents/schools, I used to be transported by helicopter to avoid troubles.
I organised my school to become a big centre of Public Examination of Secondary school students.

How I left my country.

When the war came, the rebels [RIBOLS] took all the areas where my schools were located.

In May 1998, the rebels came to my school and told me that I have to leave the school in their hands. I refused and said I cannot give you the schools because they are public Schools. They took this like a political issue.
From there, they started disturbing me,
– taking young students by force to enrol them in their army.
– They started raping wives and girls from different schools.
– They looked for ways to kill me.
According to this insecurity I called parents, headmasters, teachers and students in a general assembly meeting and together we decided to close all schools and I saved myself by going to live in the city, where my wife and children were living.
Unfortunately the city fell into the hands of rebels and I was arrested by the Rwandese Tutsi Soldiers that threatened the population. They accused me that I closed the schools because I didn’t want them to take charge.
I was taken into a dark very dark prison.
There I had met three other victims.
Every moment soldiers were coming to mistreat us.
We were waiting for death.
After three days, we were taken to a lake to be executed.
They started to shoot my colleagues.
For me I asked the soldier if I could pray before they killed me.
I began praying in my mother tongue.
The soldier was listening to my prayer because he was from my tribe and understood my language.
He interrupted me and asked if I was the Headmaster.
I said yes. He changed his opinion and said to the soldiers Tutsi that he could not kill this man because his is from my tribe.
During their discussion he said “you are responsible to look after your brothers from your tribe”. He put me in his car by force and took me to a clinic.
He obliged the nurse to treat me with care.
After one day at that Clinic, he arrived and took me in his car to Bunagana, the border with Uganda.
I had said to him a single word: that God will pay you double.

It was in March 2001 when I came in Kampala and became refugee.
Any one from my family didn’t know if I was alive.
My wife and my children met me in Kampala after 11 months. When my wife was taking her interview at the UNCHR they told her about me and they called me. They were surprised to see me alive. They thought I was dead and they had been forced to flee.
In 2004, we were sent to the refugee camp Kyangwali and after 2 years we got a chance to be resettled in Australia. We were very happy.
We came to this country.
Another problem was the language.
Everyone could not talk in English.
I went to the Migrant Resources Centre to ask if the immigration could sent me to Canada where I can communicate with other people in French. They said no.
We started learning English at TAFE. Until now I am still studying because my qualification was not recognised. I am studying the Diploma of Community Services in Welfare.
My children are talking very good English. At my church, I brought many Congolese and we have now Swahili Services.
Every Sunday I have to pick up people and bring them to the Church. Paul and I are working very hard to care about the Christians at the Church.
So we need your support to assist this new Christian community.
That is how I left my country.